At Breckin's nine month well baby check up we were disappointed to discover that he hadn't gained any weight since his last weight check a month earlier. This didn't surprise me though as he had been so sick and couldn't keep much of anything down for about a week. The doctor wasn't too concerned given this information but does want to keep a close eye on him to be sure that he stays on his growth curve. He is currently in the third percentile for weight, a drop from being in the tenth. The doctor encouraged me to try to feed him as often as possible and to start testing some dairy to give him more fats. I was really nervous to try any dairy considering all of the problems we've had in the past but felt that yogurt could be a good food to start with given the fact that it has so many wonderful probiotics in it that can aide in the digestion of dairy. So I ate yogurt a few times and was pleasantly surprised that Breckin didn't seem to adversely react. Next I gave Breckin some Nancy's plain whole milk yogurt mixed with some fruit and not only did he love it, he used his sign for more after each bite, he had no reaction!!! I am hopeful that we can start introducing more dairy in the coming months and maybe this won't be a life long problem for Breckin. I am also in the process of testing eggs, so we will see how that goes considering we will be having quite a few eggs to consume here shortly.
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
Yay for Yogurt!
At Breckin's nine month well baby check up we were disappointed to discover that he hadn't gained any weight since his last weight check a month earlier. This didn't surprise me though as he had been so sick and couldn't keep much of anything down for about a week. The doctor wasn't too concerned given this information but does want to keep a close eye on him to be sure that he stays on his growth curve. He is currently in the third percentile for weight, a drop from being in the tenth. The doctor encouraged me to try to feed him as often as possible and to start testing some dairy to give him more fats. I was really nervous to try any dairy considering all of the problems we've had in the past but felt that yogurt could be a good food to start with given the fact that it has so many wonderful probiotics in it that can aide in the digestion of dairy. So I ate yogurt a few times and was pleasantly surprised that Breckin didn't seem to adversely react. Next I gave Breckin some Nancy's plain whole milk yogurt mixed with some fruit and not only did he love it, he used his sign for more after each bite, he had no reaction!!! I am hopeful that we can start introducing more dairy in the coming months and maybe this won't be a life long problem for Breckin. I am also in the process of testing eggs, so we will see how that goes considering we will be having quite a few eggs to consume here shortly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm so glad it went well!! Hopefully you can eat real foods again and we can have a fondue party!! (I thought of the cheese dip and have been craving it ever since...mmmm)
ReplyDelete